the outside of MIH
a different angle
a barn
This is my room. I have a single room. I think it may be the only single room here on the third floor (the girls' floor). A little tidbit of information... There's no air conditioning! However, it gets pretty comfortable here at night, and I borrowed a fan.
Yesterday was my first day at HOPE. I got there at 8:15, and joined some of the staff for prayer. This happens at least every Monday. Then, Anna Haggard, who is in charge of the interns, took me on a tour of the HOPE office, and introduced me to everyone. I got a chance to go on the Pathways tour housed in the HOPE office. If you are ever in the Lancaster area, I suggest you go do this. It's free, and it's amazing. After this, I went downstairs from the HOPE office, and met everyone in marketing, and finally made it to the Keystone office. Here, I met Sue Kauffman, who I will be working with for Homes 4 Hope, and Deirdre Kozma, who is graciously sharing her office with me for the next two weeks while I help with the golf tournament. Deirdre introduced me to the entire Keystone office.
Yesterday afternoon, I performed my first task as an intern--putting certificates into picture frames. By the time I got done with this, my fingers were sore and black (the frames were black). I also got set up on the HOPE network, and got my official Homes 4 Hope email account. :)
After a long day, I came back to MIH, and rested for the remainder of the day.
This morning, I had my first golf tournament meeting at 8:15. After being frustratingly caught in road work and almost late, I found out that I would not only be sending letters but also making phone calls. While I am not bad at making phone calls if I have a script, it is one of my least favorite things to do, but I will do it without complaining. I just don't want to mess anything up... I have been reminded constantly today of my status as an intern after frustrating printer trouble, and paper cuts from stuffing letters in envelopes.
The highlight of my day today was lunch with Sue and Deirdre. I know that I am going to enjoy working with them immensely.
Physically, I am exhausted. My body has not adjusted to being an hour ahead yet, so when I get up at 6:00, my body resists, thinking it is 5:00. Also, I get hungry before anyone else in the office. Pray that my body will adjust, and will recover.
May your fingers heal quickly and your stomach adjust soon :) Phone calls are my least favorite thing, too, but the more you make the easier it gets...
ReplyDeleteA few things that I forgot to mention...
ReplyDeleteYesterday, Tuesday, was my first time to experience the HOPE weekly devotion. Funny thing, they have been going through the Alpha Course. This is funny because I helped to lead Campus Alpha for the Wesley foundation this year. Hugh called us the A-Team. This week was the week for discussing the Holy Spirit. I did not get to experience this week of the study when I lead it, so it was wonderful to get to experience it for my first week at HOPE.
Also, on a funny note, I was warned when I came up here that people were going to ask me to talk all the time because of my thick southern accent. That has not happened yet. However, when I am out in town, like at Subway or a gas station, I get some really funny looks when I start talking.
Up next:
Days three and four of my first week as an intern, and a discussion of differences between here and home. I hope you are enjoying my adventures so far!
I love and miss you! I wish I could send you some homemade chicken strips, biscuits and gravy, and maybe some peas!
ReplyDeleteJust a box of abners sauce would be great. I'm craving abners :(
ReplyDeleteAll our other comments disappeared!
ReplyDelete